Sailors

23316385_10155195377863651_9095971155708689273_n

Ok, ignore Prince Eric and Grimsby for a minute. We’re looking at the little guys in the background here. We needed sailor costumes for 7 middle schoolers. My plan was to do a simple, open-collared shirt with knickers.

For the shirts, I purchased cheap, neutral colored bedsheets from Savers/Goodwill, and constructed them using the tutorial from Buns and Baskets here.  Most of the kids did fine at the 75% size, except one who needed a full sized one. My modifications were:

  1. I added an actual collar (I drew a pattern based on a collared shirt grabbed from the closet), then added it like the collar in the tutorial.
  2. Instead of buttons at the sleeves, I cut a 2″ strip of elastic and used it to hold the edges of the cuffs together. Since these kids need to do a couple costume changes, this makes it faster.
  3. Most of the kids were fine with the open V in the neck of the shirt. A couple were self-conscious about it, so I added buttons on one side, and loop closures made from hair-ties on the other end. Faster than doing buttonholes!

For the knickers, I just took black pants, chopped them off just below the knee, then gathered the new pants end a little bit and sewed 2″ of the bottom cuff back on. There’s a good explanation of this method here. I didn’t worry about finding actual pleated pants – any pants that fit the kids worked.

The kids wanted to feel a bit more sailor/pirate-y, so they dug in the costume closet and found bandannas and sashes for the waist. Some of the sashes are actually flowery scarves, but you hardly see them, so it works.

Advertisements